Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Road Trip to Grandma's

Three weeks really isn't a lot of time to catch up with people when it's been four years since you've been home. While I knew I wasn't going to have a chance to catch up with everyone, seeing my family was obviously a priority.

Me and my parents got in the car on the 2nd to visit my grandmother in Ijebu, a town in Ogun state (we live in Lagos state0. The drive is about two hours but the traffic isn't as bad as it would be if we were trying to drive to Ikoyi or Lekki (towns in Lagos state).

My parents stopped for lunch at Sweet Sensation. I think I ate bananas on this trip.



Chicken and fries. Dad uses a visit from one of his kids as an excuse to eat like a frat boy. Good thing my mom keeps an eye on him : )
Chilling in the back : )
Well aren't they cute. Awww : )


A highway is a highway in every country. Nothing too fascinating about it.

Once we were inside my grandma's house, I did what I always do: sat down quietly. See my grandmother doesn't speak English and I don't speak Yoruba very well.

When I was 5 and I didn't know Yoruba, it was cute and endearing "Oyinbo pepe can't understand us. Awwww"

When I was 15 and I didn't know Yoruba after living in Nigeria for three years, it was inconvenient and annoyed my grandmother. I'm convinced she thinks I'm a lazy piece of shit who can't cook.

At 25, not being able to speak Yoruba is pathetic and embarrassing. I can't even have a conversation with half of my family!




My mommy and her mommy. My grandmother still fusses over my mom like she's a child. I guess parenting never really ends, huh?


Picture of my gramps. I hope we all live as long as he did.


My grandma holding my mom when she was a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment