Friday, March 11, 2011

ARISE Magazine Fashion Week: Day One.

So March 11th was the first real day of Arise Magazine Fashion Week (check out my review). I got up that morning and got ready.

I can't tell you how many times I changed in an hour. You want to talk about anxiety?

I'm not clueless but I wouldn't call myself a trendy dresser. And the women here can put any fashionista to shame let alone me, the girl who refuses to wear anything she can't run in.

So yeah, I was worried I was going to look like a dork.

I finally decided on the dress below. It's very similar to a white dress I bought in Williamsburg a couple of years ago. My mom's tailor basically copied it in a different fabric which is ankara by the way.

Funny story: I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was younger so while I was in secondary school, I would design all of these outfits and my mom's tailor would sew them. But she would always tweak it to make the outfit less revealing. If it was a skirt that was supposed to reach mid-thigh, she would make it knee-length. If it was supposed to be a form fitting dress, it became a freaking caftan.

I would get so frustrated with her! But that was then. I guess now that I'm older, I can look like a ho if I want to : )

I love the dress and I think my mom's tailor did a great job.

Anyway, I took a taxi again that morning and an overnight bag because I was planning on staying in VI overnight.

That's the skyline.


The red carpet and the photographers getting ready to assault some celebrity.
Here are some of my thoughts on AMFW Day 1 (from my notebook):
  • What time is this show starting?
  • Dude, people are getting agitated.
  • There are more beautiful people in this room than should be allowed.
  • I haven't sat front row at a fashion show since I covered Winter Park Fashion week in College.
  • Show was supposed to start at 11:00 am. It's 1:45 pm.
  • Aww, Penny McDonald is a real trooper.
  • House of Nwocha: Must have that green dress with the ruffles.
  • Wish I wasn't broke.
  • Christie Brown: A perfect balance between traditional and modern.
  • Looks like sequins, greens, ruffles are going to be trends.
  • I'm hungry.
  • Oooooh, I love the makeup (Toju Foyeh show).
  • Maki Oh's show is delayed. Who are we waiting for?
  • Maki Oh: first designer whose collection felt right for Fall imo.
  • Simple hair dos for all the models so far today.
  • AGBANI DAREGO!!!!
  • Color blocking a trend in this country too.
  • Are people really leaving before the designer comes out?
  • Korto Momolu is gorgeous.
  • Someone's clapping like a lunatic during this show. We get it; you like the clothes.
  • Okunoren Twins: most entertaining show so far?
  • Wearing sunglasses at night: hot or not?
  • Jewel by Lisa: perfection.
  • Tiffany Amber: Medley of Prince songs. Orange for Fall?
  • Oh snap! A model just became fashion road kill.
  • I'm hungry.
Here are some more pics:


Viv la Resistance.

Christie Brown.


Okay, so I saw this pretty lady earlier that day and I was obsessed. So I stopped her and asked if I could take a picture. And be her friend. Kidding.
How cool is her outfit?




The main tent.


Artist Naeto C performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment