I can't tell you how many times I changed in an hour. You want to talk about anxiety?
I'm not clueless but I wouldn't call myself a trendy dresser. And the women here can put any fashionista to shame let alone me, the girl who refuses to wear anything she can't run in.
So yeah, I was worried I was going to look like a dork.
I finally decided on the dress below. It's very similar to a white dress I bought in Williamsburg a couple of years ago. My mom's tailor basically copied it in a different fabric which is ankara by the way.
Funny story: I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was younger so while I was in secondary school, I would design all of these outfits and my mom's tailor would sew them. But she would always tweak it to make the outfit less revealing. If it was a skirt that was supposed to reach mid-thigh, she would make it knee-length. If it was supposed to be a form fitting dress, it became a freaking caftan.
I would get so frustrated with her! But that was then. I guess now that I'm older, I can look like a ho if I want to : )
Anyway, I took a taxi again that morning and an overnight bag because I was planning on staying in VI overnight.
Here are some of my thoughts on AMFW Day 1 (from my notebook):
- What time is this show starting?
- Dude, people are getting agitated.
- There are more beautiful people in this room than should be allowed.
- I haven't sat front row at a fashion show since I covered Winter Park Fashion week in College.
- Show was supposed to start at 11:00 am. It's 1:45 pm.
- Aww, Penny McDonald is a real trooper.
- House of Nwocha: Must have that green dress with the ruffles.
- Wish I wasn't broke.
- Christie Brown: A perfect balance between traditional and modern.
- Looks like sequins, greens, ruffles are going to be trends.
- I'm hungry.
- Oooooh, I love the makeup (Toju Foyeh show).
- Maki Oh's show is delayed. Who are we waiting for?
- Maki Oh: first designer whose collection felt right for Fall imo.
- Simple hair dos for all the models so far today.
- AGBANI DAREGO!!!!
- Color blocking a trend in this country too.
- Are people really leaving before the designer comes out?
- Korto Momolu is gorgeous.
- Someone's clapping like a lunatic during this show. We get it; you like the clothes.
- Okunoren Twins: most entertaining show so far?
- Wearing sunglasses at night: hot or not?
- Jewel by Lisa: perfection.
- Tiffany Amber: Medley of Prince songs. Orange for Fall?
- Oh snap! A model just became fashion road kill.
- I'm hungry.