Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Veganize It: Sugar Cookies

These are from Christmas. I know this post is late. We've already established that I'm a shitty blogger. Don't dwell on it. Let's move on.

These cookies are awesome. They're dare I say it? The best vegan sugar cookies I've ever eaten too many of.

 Where did I find the recipe? I don't know... But I do have the recipe and have no problem stating THIS IS NOT MINE.

If you know who made these, let me know so I can source it.

 The shitty photo is mine.

Here's the recipe:

Mr. Cookie Baker's (Vegan) Cookies

Makes about 3 trays full of cookies

5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup earth balance
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs worth of egg replacer or 1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp maple extract
1/4 cup plus
2 tbsp non-dairy milk

Notes: I used vegetable oil because we don't have Earth Balance in Nigeria. And I used applesauce (homemade applesauce what-what)

1. Mix together 2 cups of the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the earth balance and sugar. Then beat in the egg-replacer, vanilla, maple and non-dairy milk.

3. Stir the dry into the wet and gradually add enough remaining flour until the dough is stiff enough to roll out.

4. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

5. Preheat the oven to 375ยบ and roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/8" thickness.

6. Cut out into pretty shapes, then re-roll and repeat until all the dough is used up!

7. Bake the cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

I didn't bother with frosting but just in case you feel like it, here ya go.

Frosting:
2 tbsp earth balance
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup soy milk

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and mix on high until smooth and creamy.

2. Divide into separate bowls and mix a couple drops of food coloring into each bowl. Once the cookies are completely cool, decorate them with frosting and sprinkles and place them on parchment paper to let the frosting set.

No comments:

Post a Comment