Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Bachelor": Why I Watch Every Week.

Anyone who follows me on Twitter (right here if you're interested), knows I am a HUGE fan of the reality television show "The Bachelor". I watch it religiously (Monday nights at 8:00 PM Eastern time).

Anyway, my Bachelor obsession has resulted in some hilarious Monday nights for me. It's also led to a few people "unfollowing" me on Twitter.

Eh, I can't please everyone.

So what's the appeal? Why do I tune in every week to see grown women compete for a guy's affection? There are lots of reasons:

It's hilarious.

I'm sorry, I know this is evil and some may say it's my inner bitch coming out to play but I love reality television. Seeing a bunch of adults make asses of themselves is awesome. I thoroughly enjoy laughing at the stupidity of others. This is the draw of "The Bachelor", "The Jersey Shore", "The Real World" and many of the other shows I watch. Just ask Kristen Baldwin; she writes the best Bachelor related recaps EVER.

Twitter makes everything better.

Have you guys ever tweeted and watched your fave show simultaneously? Fun fun fun. Now I may be biased but in my opinion, some of the wittiest, most hilarious statements tweeted in 140 characters or less have come from Bachelor fans (shout out to some of my "Twitter friends": @iamSalt7, @Deedraesi, @Silprincess22, @mollyCLE, @keysygirl, @LoveMarci , @SoFlyLadyDi, @267rachael). And the drinking games these men and women have come up with gets my week started right. If you ever decide to join me, just know you have to take a shot every time someone on the show says "journey", "best date ever", "leap of faith", "I gave up so much to be here", "I've never felt this way before", "I didn't expect to fall this quickly", or anytime bachelor host Chris Harrison says "The most dramatic season ever!" in the previews.

The Bachelor is so popular on Twitter on Monday nights that people tune in just to see what everyone is tweeting about. If you decide to do the same, I highly recommend reading @Possessionista and @jenniferweiner's Bachelor tweets to fully submerse yourself in the experience. Hey, there's no half-assing this!

I'm an optimist at heart.
I enjoy a laugh at the expense of the Bachelor contestants and I enjoy doing that laughing along with everyone else watching on Twitter. But at the end of the day, I am rooting for these people. Despite the odds being against them (the cameras), some people actually find love on this show. It's fascinating to get a glimpse - albeit a small one - of that happening. These people may be a little crazy for being on reality TV but they're still real people. I want the bachelor or bachelorette to find love, I want Snooki to finally find her perfect guido-juicehead-monkey soul-mate and I want the seven strangers picked to live in a house to learn from each other and become life-long friends.

I may be a bitch but this bitch loves a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment