Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Today in Frivolity
1. Today’s WWD was a little Vera Wang centric but with good reason. This month marks the 20th anniversary of the designer’s business. So everyone from Optical to KenmarkSerta took pages out to congratulate her. That’s sweet! Congrats Vera!
2. Katherine Hepburn is having the best year ever. Well sort of. The St. Louis based divison of Dillards will be hosting Lunch With Kate, a tribute to the actress’ influence on fashion. The Kent State University Museum will be hosting “Katherine Hepburn: Dressed for Stage and Screen” starting Oct.20 and The U.S Postal Service will be launching a commemorative Hepburn stamp this year as well.
3. Sony Music and its in-house merchandising company, The Thread Shop, will launch a line of T-shirts at Barneys New York next week called Archive 1887. The new brand is inspired by music history dating back to 1887 and the shirts will feature rare photos and artwork from the Sony Music archives. Each shirt also comes with a hangtag that can be used to stream music and a key that can be worn as a necklace or charm. I kind of lost my taste for rock t-shirts back in 2005 when I saw Paris Hilton in a bedazzled Rolling Stones concert tee but these sound cool.
4. Does anyone remember when baseballer Sammy Sosa pulled a Michael Jackson and showed up to an event looking like someone dipped him in bleach? Remember when he was considering becoming the spokesman for the lightening cream he used and then claimed he had no idea the “moisturizer” was going to make him look albino? Yeah, it looks like he had a change of heart because he ”looked back to his usual color” when he was spotted partying in Miami.
5. Oliver Stone, Broadway and Justin Timberlake? Eh, maybe. After Timberlake saw the musical Memphis and expressed interest in bringing it to the big screen, Stone has shown interest in directing it. This could go both ways so cross your fingers and hope Timberlake won’t be acting in the film.
6. Will all the actors be returning for the fourth and final Twilight film? Kellan Lutz (Emmett) and Ashley Greene (Alice) won’t if they don’t get paid. The greedy actors are holding out for a pay increase and Summit Entertainment is being stingy because the two are secondary characters and therefore replaceable. Ha, tell that to a 12 year old with an Emmett Cullen binder and an Alice Cullen Barbie. I expect fans of the series to freak out over this. They’ll call it the Twihard Riots of 2010 one day…
7. Tyra Banks is writing her first novel. It’s called Modelland. And it’s about supermodels. With magical powers. And it’s the first book in a trilogy. Oh lord.
8. In very sad news, supermodel Naomie Lenoir was found unconscious after apparently attempting to commit suicide. She is believed to have taken a cocktail of alcohol and drugs. Her ex-boyfriend, Claude Makelele, found her and called an ambulance but Lenoir came to a few minutes later and cancelled it. She then allegedly attempted to take her life again when she “left the house alone in the suburb of La Celle-Saint-Cloud, and was found unconscious again several hours later by a passer-by on the forest footpath.” Dude…