Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Like Curls, Curls, Curls, Curls

I’m an obsessive compulsive nerd.

This is charming to most people so it’s okay. But I know how abnormal it is to literally spend hours thinking about the most frivolous, unimportant things. I blame this on an overactive imagination and too much time spent entertaining myself as a child. Yes this is your fault mom and dad.

That was my disclaimer. On to the post!

So as I mentioned earlier, I got to go backstage at the Mackage show for fashion week. It was awesome, I had a great time and I got to interview Tippi Shorter!!!! Yes, I got to interview the lady who gives Alicia Keys every hairstyle I’ve ever coveted.

If you read the interview, you know I told her I was her hair stalker. Well I didn’t include the ten minute badgering that proceeded. I saw Tippi’s head of sexy, structured curls and I. Had. To. Have. Them.

Lucky for me, Tippi is as nice as they come and she answered all my questions about her style secrets. But I wasn’t satisfied. Seeing Tippi’s hair made me miss my curls. I have conveniently forgotten how hard it was to manage them.

All I know is I WANT CURLY HAIR AGAIN. I love curly hair. I do! What can I say? It’s epic. And straight hair is so boring to me now.

Just look at the photo of us above. Tippi: rockstar. Me: yawn.

So now I’m having a curly hair moment. These “moments” occur about every two years for me (last time it was a Josephine Baker moment).

I went home that day and proceeded to create my curly hair box because that’s what I do when I plan; I create virtual boxes. I now have 300 photos of curly haired girls for inspiration and I’m growing my relaxer out (some of the photos below are from the box). I might as well because I don’t trust anyone but my hairdresser in Orlando anyway.

I cannot wait for the weather to stop being a bipolar hot mess so I can premiere my curly hair for my spring/ summer look.

Yes, I have moments and looks.

Don’t judge me.

I’m calling it my Summer2010 Penny Lane Hippie Chic Bohemian African Princess look. Obviously, I’ve put a lot of thought into it.

When I have successfully achieved this look, I’ll share photos.

Vashtie
Yaya
Nicole Fiscella
Penny Lane: my imaginary bestie and style icon for the summer.
Gelila Bekele
Random lady I stopped at an event. Cuz that's how I roll.

Corrine Bailey Rae.

Notice that the look is less fro' and more ringlety? I'm trying to accomplish this with my very thick natural hair. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. first of all love you in this pic. secondly, let's work on getting me some fierce curls!! <3

    ReplyDelete