Monday, January 18, 2010

Veganize It: Mac and Cheese

About two years ago, I decided to give up animal products. I went this route for a lot of reasons and I haven’t regretted it once. I’m healthier, I sleep better, I don’t get migraines and I’ve lost weight.

I NEVER lose weight.

Anyway, veganism has been good to me. There are plenty alternatives to my must haves and what I can’t easily find in the stores, I find recipes for online. It’s now a hobby of mine to veganize meals. I like to play around in the kitchen and try to perfect an animal product free alternative to some of my favorite foods.

So far, I’ve had BLT sandwiches to die for, yummy cupcakes (you all know I went to work perfecting that recipe asap), burritos, pad thai, and some other good stuff.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I miss cheese. I literally dream about gruyere at night. And I don’t care what anyone says: most vegan cheeses taste like a donkey’s ass unless it’s cooked in something.

Since I can’t put it on a cracker, I decided to use my block of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese Substitute to make macaroni and cheese.

Check it out : )

Ingredients
1 block of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese Substitute in Cheddar
16 oz of fresh or frozen chopped spinach (I chose frozen)
16oz of rotini or pasta of your choice
Olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

The Process
I’m not exactly a star in the kitchen so I like to keep things simple. I boiled the pasta and drained it and added the spinach which was defrosting a bit while the pasta was boiling.

I like adding spinach to my mac and cheese because I like the way it tastes, it’s healthy and I think the green and yellow looks pretty… Obviously you can omit it.

Anyway, after adding the spinach, I added olive oil. I did this mostly to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pot.

I added the cheese after coating the pasta with olive oil, stirring the pasta until the cheese melted.

The last thing I did was add salt and pepper to taste.

Bon appétit!

Note: In the future, I think I’m going to grate the cheese because it took forever to melt.

Double note: I only used one block of cheese but if you want cheesier macaroni, use two blocks.

Verdict
It’s not bad. I ate my mac and cheese with tofu on the side (see first or last picture) and I actually really enjoyed it but will probably tweak it in the future. A friend told me nutritional yeast macaroni is AMAZING.

That is all. Let me know what you think of my recipe if you’re brave enough to try it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment