Sunday, January 31, 2010

JMO: Rihanna Deserved It? Are you High?

So I'm procrastinating as usual and checking out ybf.com's coverage of the annual Clive Davis Pre-Grammy party.

It's a great opportunity to style stalk.

This is why I never get anything done people.

Anyway, I go through the photos and make it to the comment section where I read this crap from Mizundastood: i wish chris brown beat rihanna to death. that would of been the only accomplishment of the black race.

At first, I brushed it off and assumed it was some cyber bully trying to get a rise out of people. What I find incredibly disturbing are the comments left afterwards. Some were along the lines of "she got what she deserved", "she's so ugly", "i'm so tired of seeing her yellow face","she ruined chris brown's life" and so on.

Okay, I understand the whole concept of being a superfan but seriously?

I know a lot of people dislike Rihanna for whatever reason (whiny voice, mediocre music, bafflement at her success, light skin jealousy, annoying attempt at edginess) but let's be real for a minute:

Regardless of a person's feelings towards her, abuse should never be excused or tolerated and I truly pity anyone that can successfully rationalize what happened to her.

If your boyfriend or girlfriend hits you, do you deserve it?

For the record, I am and always have been indifferent to Chris Brown and Rihanna. I think he's cute, I think she's pretty. I'll listen to both of their music if it's on the radio but I never have been and I doubt I ever will be tempted to buy either of their albums. I think they are two people who are young and I hope they learn from their mistakes and move on.

With that said, I find it sad that people - especially women - continue to say "Rihanna ruined Chris Brown's life."

Let me just say Chris Brown ruined his life when he decided to NOT walk away like a man should. I don't pity him. I don't feel bad at all for the backlash he's receiving. It's expected;he beat the shit out of his girlfriend people!

Can we stop expecting less from people and hold them accountable for their actions?

Abuse is not okay. EVER. Do not accept anything less than respect from your partner. And if you think what happened to Rihanna is okay, I strongly suggest therapy.

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. AGREED...don't like her and i love Chris Brown....but you are totally on point

    ReplyDelete