Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Reformed People Pleaser.


I'm a huge believer in self-reflection as a preliminary step towards self-improvement. I'd be lying if I said I have it all figured out now that I'm older. I constantly find myself having to relearn the lessons I was taught before.  I noticed most of the things that bother me about me have a common thread. Let's see if you recognize it:


  • Saying "sorry" all the time. 
  • Caring too much when someone doesn't like me.
  • Bending over backwards to accommodate people.
  • Putting other people's priorities before my own.


Raise your hand if you're a people pleaser?

Yeah, being a people pleaser sucks. I don't want to do it anymore.

People pleasing is like being addicted to drugs. I love the feeling I get from helping people. The problem there is, the dealers of the euphoria people pleasing gives, know you love that shit. Next thing you know, you've given everything you have just for the fleeting feeling of knowing you "did the right thing", "were a huge help", "are the best", "are the nicest".

Fuck that noise.