Thursday, October 16, 2014

This Beautiful Life.

"Don't shut God out".

Disclaimer for the readers that are awesome but not necessarily spiritual: I'mma get very Christian up in here, straight up Saved styles. I promise not to call you soulless atheists if you promise not to call me a bible thumper 'kay?

Sometimes God has a way of reaching out to you in ways you'd never expect. There I was finishing up an awesome interview with Ufuoma Ekpecham, the mastermind behind Josh & Nicol. I had everything I needed for the story but there's something about Ufuoma that makes you want to linger and continue the conversation. I imagine that if we were at a coffee house, we would have closed the place down.

There's no nee to rehash the whole thing. I will say that I am grateful. It was like she was sent to me to help me work through some things and I really really appreciate it. I needed to hear what Ufuoma said. I needed someone who has experienced the kind of loss I've experienced to remind me that now is not the time to shut myself off and be wary of God.

I used to be so strong in my faith. I was sure I had this bigger than life entity in my corner, watching out for me. When Dad and then Jay died, I lost that confidence. I wasn't just heartbroken, I was seriously wary of God and Christians. I basically side-eyed and eye-rolled my way through church on Sundays with the cynicism of a skeptic.

For the first time, I feel like I'm gong to get to a better place emotionally. I pray that as I continue to grow as a person, I'll be better prepared for the obstacles I will inevitably face in life.

Ufuoma, thank you so much. I honestly can't adequately explain what you did for me that day when you chatted with me about your life and when you talked about your relationship with God.


1 comment: