Thursday, March 1, 2012

Getting Old Sucks

Allmoviephoto.com 
In a time of absolute desperation, I did something I never thought I’d be able to again: I watched “The Notebook”. It was on my sister’s old laptop that my parents now own. I don’t really know how it happened; it was late, I was desperate. I was in the middle of f-cking nowhere (the village) and I didn’t have any books or films with me, okay?

Now please don’t take this as a diss to the film. There is nothing wrong with the film. I absolutely love Rachel McAdams and think Ryan Gosling is lovely in everything, I just didn’t love “The Notebook” the way others did. Do you remember all those gifs that were made during the height of its popularity? It was the most annoying shit ever.

BUT

I found myself tearing up during the movie when the older Noah talks about all of his health issues, calling it “a general wearing down of the body”. Spending time with my parents has brought that line home for me. They’re getting old. They get tired so easily now, they forget things. These are two very active people who enjoy constantly being on the go who have now been halted by the aging process. That’s what’s so heartbreaking about it. Their bodies are betraying them and it’s so unfair. Getting old is unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment