Thursday, December 8, 2011

JMO: Finance Guys and Gold Diggers

So I'm browsing Gawker.com (because I love it so) and I notice there are a lot of posts about finance guys (because let's face it, most of the stories are about men) and how dating them almost always ends in disaster. From there I stumbled across the GS Elevator twitter feed which I find hilarious and my sister finds horrific.

*Am I a bad person for laughing? I don’t think so. I’m just not surprised that people can say evil things.

Anyway, I feel like it's 2009 again and the uproar about the whole Dating A Banker Anonymous “support group” is still fresh. Are you completely drawing a blank? Click here for a refresher. 

Though Dabagirls.wordpress.com no longer exists, there's something that never gets old about this topic: men who are banking and the women who date them. 

What I find funny is the outrage. The ladies that started the Dabagirls site received all types of hell. Not for duping The New York Times but for being honest about their preferences. And now with the stories on Gawker, people are so quick to chime in with their “maybe next time she’ll think about dating someone for more than just money” comments. Oh please. 

It’s not just the money, it’s the lifestyle. It’s dating someone who speaks your language and is interested in things that interest you. Let’s take the paychecks out of the equation for a minute; what does a teacher have in common with a woman who works in an industry like fashion? What the hell are you guys going to talk about on a date? I’m not saying it never happens but women who date guys in finance aren’t likely to date the guy who majored in education because they live totally different lives. These women aren’t gold-diggers; they’re snobs (no judgment ladies. Everyone is a snob about something).

I have very little sympathy for most guys because THEY make it about the money. I’m sure this doesn’t apply to all men but there are enough of you. If you’re doing well financially the majority of the conversation you have with a woman involves how many figures you make, how exclusive your neighborhood is, where you vacation, and how often you frequent the best restaurants in the city. You’re basically telling her that the only redeeming quality you happen to have is your bank account.

If you’re just never going to make the big bucks, you still make it about money. Except you go on the offensive and go on and on about how money is the root of all evil like you’d turn up your nose to a million dollars. And then you start talking about how you’re looking for a woman who “isn’t a diva” or “is down to earth” as if a woman can’t be ambitious if you’re not.

So my question is why do men make it all about money? How about having a personality?

No comments:

Post a Comment