Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does Monogamy Work?

How do these two do it?

Disclaimer: I am sorry in advance for this particular rant.

Thank you.

You know, as I get older and I get closer to being in the position where I can start actively pursuing my dreams, I can’t help but ask myself how monogamy makes sense.

Hear me out:

I love my alone time, I can literally go a week without really seeing anyone. Don’t get me wrong, I love people but being with someone all the time? ALL THE TIME? Why would anyone want to see a person that much?

And change is constant! We as people are constantly growing and evolving. Won’t our needs and the qualities we desire in partners change too?

And what about our aspirations? I’ve heard relationships are all about compromise but when does compromising get in the way of pursuing our dreams?

Then it hit me; relationships don’t sound that fun. Sure, committing to one person forever sounds all well and good in theory but really think about it: a relationship is all about committing. So is that a promise to never fall out of love? Is that a promise to always love a person who is at the moment your world?

Doesn’t sound fair to me. God forbid a person has a change of heart, right?

For the record, I like to think of myself as a realistic idealist. My parents are happily married and celebrated their 30 year wedding anniversary in December. I’m not jaded, I actually love love.
Birds chirping, angels singing, dancing on clouds love. Whatever, it’s all good.

With that said, I’ve seen enough relationships crash and burn to know they aren’t always a bed of roses.
I think the idea of finding one person to spend forever with is great and I used to look forward to meeting someone I could share my life with.

But with age comes more common sense.

I went on a date with a guy who was great on paper; really single, mature, smart, handsome, morally sound and successful. But when presented with an actual option, the thought of settling down right now made me physically ill. Seriously.

But what do I know? I am your quintessential single gal; I’ve never been in a relationship. I have no cred when it comes to love and committing and all that good stuff.

So I am asking all of the happily domesticated people out there: what’s your favorite thing about being in a committed relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment