Monday, July 13, 2015

So... This happened.

Greetings to the handful of you that still read this blog! Your dedication is admirable. Truly though, if you do still check this blog, thank you. I am the worst when it comes to updating the site with new posts. My embedded videos never come out right. My photos aren't going to win any awards. I appreciate the fact that you guys read Nogobelieve anyway. 

So, as you may have noticed in the pic I posted, I'm in scrubs. Why am I in scrubs? I'm back in school. I've been in school since June 1st.

Let me go back a bit, explain what happened.

This year I finished the final draft of the manuscript I have been working on since 2013. I'm incredibly proud of it and I hope people get a chance to read it soon.

There was a huge, hefty sense of relief when I finished the last round of edits. But then I had a reaction I didn't expect.  

With the book being done, I didn't have a project. It was the first time in my life that I wasn't actively working towards something. That made me feel like I didn't have a purpose. That made me feel SHITTY .‎

After a week-long pity party, I mentally bitch-slapped myself, sat down and wrote a list of things I could do based off of my qualifications. I could move back to NYC or VI and work in magazine editorial again. I could work as a ghost-writer. I could go into marketing or PR. 

None of those options were remotely appealing.

It was time to do something different.

 Most people who know me know it's always been my wish to go back to Nigeria and open a business. I always pictured myself owning a shop and dedicating my evenings to my writing.

My mom and I have talked about opening a spa or health-foods store in the past. It was one of those "some day" conversations. But why wait for some day? I decided to just go for it .‎ I'm in school taking the first step towards making our dream a reality. 



When I graduated from university, I told my parents to cherish my BA because it was the only degree they would ever get from me. So no one is more surprised than me that I willingly go to school Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm. I freaking love it! I can't wait to share what I've learned when I'm done.