Monday, April 1, 2013

Romance Is Stupid.

Ladies, am I alone here?

I don't know if this is because I've seen too much (I know I sound like a war victim).

Regardless of the reason, I'm not into the lovey-dovey stuff.  While I'm cool with it in movies and on TV, romantic gestures immediately make me suspicious in real life.

The problem with a romantic gesture is it never feels genuine to me.
Forcing it lacks sincerity.
A lack of sincerity in anybody is not cool but in a guy, it's a total lady-boner killer.

You say "I've loved you since the first time I laid eyes on you."
I think "You don't even know me! I could be crazy."
Then I think "this guy is either a liar or really stupid."
And... I can't be with a stupid person.

So keep your roses and other cliche gifts. Don't come to me with poems or grand declarations of love a day after we've met. I don't believe a word you're saying and now I think you're cheesy. And possibly stupid.

Am I bitch for feeling this way? Probably.

Am I cynical? Definitely.

But am I alone? I don't think so.

It goes hand in hand with not wanting some emo dude who believes real love is intense and all-consuming and making love (ugh) is supposed to make you cry.

Like really?

I believe there are plenty of women who don't want an Edward/Romeo/Stefan (Insert mopey, sensitive, pop-culture character). I believe there are women out there like me that want to laugh with someone, not sit in awe trying to absorb the magnitude of feelings he evokes or some shit.

Love can be epic without the angst and feelings and tears, right? What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment