Saturday, September 25, 2010

Men Really Love Hair and Other Mini Revelations

So I was at this event when A*, this guy I went on a date with a couple of months ago, walked right past me.

“Hey A!”

He turned around, did a double take and walked over to me.

“Hey J. I didn’t recognize you.”

“I cut my hair.”

“Oh, oh… why?”

Strike One.

“Um, you know I just wanted a change. You know, do something different”

“Okay, okay. Well it’s, it’s” A looked at my head like he was looking for a bird’s nest. Maybe he was looking for an appropriate adjective? Or maybe an escape route? “It’s different”.

It’s different? A just spent the last thirty seconds looking for a word and he settled for different.

Strike Two.

“Yeah well change is good. And it’s hair so it’ll grow back.”

“Yeah but it’s going to take a long time!”

Strike Three.

I know hair is a big deal for guys but dang, you’d think I grew facial hair or something.

Anyway lovelies, I cut my hair!



You like? It’s okay if you don't , I wasn’t crazy about it a month ago. But it’s grown a bit and I’m kind of stuck with it so oh well.

A while ago, I wrote a post about my obsession with curls. I went to the Mackage show in February, interviewed Tippi Shorter, saw her head of sexy tendrils and decided my flat strands were the worst thing in my life. So I stopped relaxing it. Determined to transition back to my natural hair without chopping everything off like I did the previous THREE times (yeah, I’m no stranger to a pair of scissors), I did lots of braidouts, lots and lots of braidouts. I lasted eight months before I got scissor happy.

And now I look like a boy.

I kidd.

Sorta.

What do you guys think of the cut?

Is "different" boy-code for "unforgivably hideous"?

Am I the only one who thinks A should have gone with "you're still cute as a button and totally dateable with or without hair you witty, lovely, sexy minx"?

* A isn't the guy's real name. Duh.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Yeah, A dropped the ball with that one but he's not so bad : )

    ReplyDelete