Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Not Mandatory But Freaking Good: My Blog Girl Crush Part II



Tia Williams of Shakeyourbeauty.com


Tia Williams is the reason why I made it to NYC. Let me set up the story for y'all.

I was a college junior who knew she wanted to work in magazines but had no idea how to do it. Reading up on fellow Nigerian Lola Ogunnaike (a fantastic writer), I stumbled across Shakeyourbeauty.com, Tia's beauty blog.



Without coming off as dramatic, though I do believe that ship has sailed, the blog changed my life. I had a real-life example of a woman of color who made a living working in magazine editorial. Tia often wrote posts advising aspiring magazine editors on the how-tos.

Also, Tia was like the fashion and beauty obsessed sister I never had! Through her blog, I started to figure out what did and didn't work for me as a black girl. And she's such a funny writer guys.

So here's the funny/ironic part. My first internship was with Ambermag.com. My boss, Marcia Cole (an industry vet that I owe big time for teaching me so much), is friends with Tia and sent me to her house one day to drop off a package. The interaction was less than a minute and she was nice and ridiculously good-looking and her daughter was just the cutest. That was my first Tia Williams encounter and honestly, I would have died happy knowing I sort of met her.

 How badass is it that she documented her migraine surgery?

She's so pretty.


But then I started working at Essence magazine and I ran into her again on the way to the restroom! She was the Online Beauty Editor at the time so it was bound to happen. I spent weeks hoping I'd run into her again. When my time at Essence was coming to an end I grew some balls and emailed her. I told her I was a HUGE fan and I loved Accidental Diva and Revlon's Raisin Glaze lipgloss and THANK YOU for being such an inspiration and shakeyourbeauty.com is my life and so on and so on.

I know. I'm lame.

Despite me fangirly slightly creepy email, she dropped by my desk to say hello a few days later!

I. Freaked. Out.

I went all Belieber on her. and Tia handled it like the stah she is. She was incredibly sweet and just cool as fuck. Anyway, she relaunched shakeyourbeauty.com months ago after a hiatus and it's just as great as the original. Plus she and her sisters (Lauren and Devon who I feel like I know) launched another cool site called theflycut.com. Think Groupon for chic black women. So now women on color can get a great deal at a salon that actually knows what to do with ethnic hair.

In the words of Tia, get into it.

*Photos courtesy of Shakeyourbeauty.com

1 comment: